Apex 5510 is Boulder’s First Apartment Community to Achieve LEED Certification
With a focus on sustainability and the environment, the new apartments have achieved LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council
Boulder, CO (March 31, 2016) – Apex 5510, a 231 unit apartment community in Gunbarrel, has become the first apartment community in Boulder to achieve LEED certification (a rating system from the U.S. Green Building Council for improved environmental and human health performance). The announcement comes after Apex 5510 received LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) last month, a testimony to the development team’s focus on sustainability and the environment.
“Sustainability is a focal point for our company, and we know that it is a priority for many of the people who live and work in Boulder County,” said Brad Blash, co-founder and managing partner of Crossbeam Portico, which has partnered with Trammell Crow Residential on the development. “With easy access to bike trails, transportation systems and a station for the popular B-cycle program onsite, Apex 5510 provides a great place to live in an environmentally friendly and thoughtful community. We’re proud of our commitment to Gunbarrel and to Boulder, and that pride is reflected in the type of lifestyle and living space we’re delivering to the people who want to live and work here. We’re doing all we can to differentiate ourselves, in ways that matter most to our residents.”
The LEED rating system, developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), is the foremost program for buildings, homes and communities that are designed, constructed, maintained and operated for improved environmental and human health performance. A community can achieve LEED certification after undergoing a technically rigorous process, including the incorporation of green strategies to achieve efficiency and healthy environments, including factors such as sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
Apex 5510 met a long list of requirements, including:
- Low flow fixtures, reducing occupant water use and energy bills
- 30 percent energy reduction over baseline (IECC 2006) to reduce energy bills
- Sealed combustion equipment and mechanical ventilation to improve indoor air quality
- Eco-sensitive landscaping including a limited amount of turf, drought-tolerant plants and zoned irrigation for water conservation
- HERS rating of at least 70 for each dwelling unit
“The green housing market is growing,” said Rick Fedrizzi, CEO & founding chair, USGBC. “LEED-certified homes are healthier places to live, produce lower utility bills, have better air quality and leave a smaller environmental footprint behind.”
Added Mark Bloomfield, principal at Sustainability Built, LLC: “The LEED for Homes program provides a metric by which energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and other green measures can be verified by third-party inspectors. The Silver level of certification that Apex 5510 has achieved verifies that the project has implemented a significant number of green measures to reduce energy use, and improve occupant health and quality of life.”
“We’ve seen a great deal of interest from people who want to live close to their jobs in Gunbarrel, as well as those who want a more affordable Boulder address,” said Blash, “Apex 5510 is providing people with a quality apartment community, complete with numerous amenities and services that are intended to ease their busy lifestyles, and provide great sources of relaxation and fun.”
Apex 5510 hosts monthly brunches, as well as cocktail nights and other social events for residents, enhancing the friendly community atmosphere that exists here. Some of the additional community amenities include:
- A 1,600 square foot fitness center, featuring a mix of high quality Matrix and Paramount strength and cardio equipment and provides residents with a comfortable and secure setting for their workouts, 24/7.
- The Paw Spa, a great space for residents to give their dogs a pampering wash and dry.
- The Apex Lounge, which includes 24 hour access to billiards, free wi-fi, hi-def smart televisions, large entertaining bar, outdoor grilling and an indoor/outdoor fireplace.
- A future running and biking trail through the center of the community, with connectivity to the Boulder/Longmont trail system.
- A resort style pool and spa, featuring a sundeck with views of the Flat Irons and Front Range.
- Easy access to Boulder Reservoir, premier hiking and biking trails.
- Community garden and Eco-sensitive landscaping.
- Downtown Boulder, Pearl Street Mall and 60 parks within five miles.
- Within walking distance of premier companies, including IBM, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Spectra, Lockheed and Covidien.
Apex 5510 apartment floorplans also provide multiple design options, including:
- Smoke-free Community
- Compliant with the Boulder Green Points Program.
- Ultimate studio, one and two bedroom floor plans, featuring gourmet kitchens with black Frigidaire appliances, side by side refrigerator, built in microwave oven, washer/dryer, walk-in closets, custom cabinetry and granite counter tops.
- Wood style flooring in the living room, dining room and bathroom.
- Nine foot or higher ceilings.
- Floor-to-ceiling windows, beautifully framing outdoor views.
- Private balcony or patio, with sprawling views of Boulder.
- “Boulder Gear” storage units.
- Garages and carports.
- Electric vehicle charging stations.
- Dedicated bicycle parking stations on-site.
For more information regarding Apex 5510, please visit http://www.apex5510.com, or call 303.530.0688